Japanese curry is something I was introduced to years ago and it has since become one of my easy favourites. It is basically a spicy stew with a thick gravy. You can buy the Glico Japanese curry blocks at most grocery stores these days, usually in the Asian food aisle.
- 2-3 lbs of short ribs or cubed meat
- 1 pack of Glico curry. (mild is shown here, but there is medium and hot as well)
- 1 pack of baby carrots
- 1 pack of mini potatoes
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of Japanese short grain rice
1) Medium dice the onion and garlic.
2) Line the bottom of the slow cooker with the onion and garlic
3) Put the meat into the slow cooker
4) Half the baby carrots and potatoes and add to the slow cooker
5) Cut the curry blocks into small pieces and add to the slow cooker.
6) Fill slow cooker with water until the ingredients are just barely covered.
7) Turn on slow cooker on low and wait until it is ready (10-12 hours)
8) Once the slow cooker is finished cooking, make the rice. First, rinse the rice until the water is clear. Then add it to a rice cooker with 3 cups of water. If you want to make less rice, just remember the proportion of about 1 cup rice to 1.5 cups water.